What is 'Social Support'?
We all flourish when we feel a sense of belonging. For many, unfortunately, circumstances can limit opportunities to interact and contribute with other people. Social support provides opportunities for aged clients to participate in meaningful and purposeful activities while connecting with others within their community.
Omnicare hosts Social Support Groups (SSG) at four day centres - in Port Macquarie (Morton Centre and Greenmeadows), Kempsey (Parklands Cottage), and Wauchope (Bain Park).
Our services and programmes are aligned with Omnicare’s Montessori-based initiative The WISER Approach. It revolves around us understanding every individual’s background, abilities, interests and requirements.
in these groups?
Omnicare’s SSG coordinators plan programmes that involve:
- Social connection – enjoying the company of others while participating in entertaining and engaging fun and games
- Maintaining or learning skills – so you can contribute to your daily routines and maximise your independence
- Creative and practical projects – enabling you to express yourself and to enjoy a sense of achievement
- Physical activities – dance, games and sport to keep you moving at your own pace
- Outings – opportunities to visit places of interest in your community
Groups have resumed recently (in limited numbers) within a COVID-safe environment, overseen by staff specially trained in infection control.
How can I
For those not attending our centres, we offer individualised activity packs - which are available via email or delivery - for our clients and those caring for them. These contain all the required materials, instructions, information and strategies for keeping engaged in tasks or hobbies that maintain skills.
We’re also able to provide puzzles, games, paints, etc. from our library that enable participants to have variety and choice while engaging in activities at home during this pandemic period.
There’s online access to Omnicare chat groups that give carers opportunities to interact with staff and other carers so they can share experiences and knowledge, and seek support and advice. There’s also assisted online access for clients to socialise.
If you’d like to know more about Omnicare Social Support, contact us on 1300 336 488. Our Access team is there to guide, advise and support callers. There’s no obligation to choose our services.